THE SENIOR DORMITORIES AGAIN.

In order to be able to write the communication printed in another column, the author must have shut both eyes tight on the unsuccess of the old Senior dormitory system and the present discussion which has been airing the situation for some weeks. There are two views as to the methods of unifying a class by juxtaposition: one is by mixing its members in a haphazard manner, the other by allowing congenial and larger groups to apply together. The former method, which the communication advocates at least in part, has been tried and found wanting, both because men are unwilling to take an even chance of rooming next to the most uncongenial spirit in the class, and because experience has proved that being in the same entry does not necessarily make bosom friends of the inmates. The latter, or the new system which is to be tried, hopes to induce a number of the class larger than ever before to move into the Yard for its Senior year. This it purposes to do by allowing large groups to go together.

The writer of the communication admits that ample provision has been made for men applying in smaller groups, but he complains, because the large groups are to have preference in the allotment, and that the applications for small numbers will not be filled in the best building. This is partially true with respect to Holworthy; but is utterly unfounded in respect to any other building, as there will be many crevices to fill in with the smaller groups, and as the facilities of Holworthy are inferior in some respects to those of the other buildings. The answer is, if a man wants to room in Holworthy--the only building which will be practically monopolized by large groups--let him organize a group, and so stand with the rest an even chance of getting the room upon which he has set his heart. For certainly no Junior is so solitary that he cannot find 13 men to apply with him who will be fully as congenial as those who are placed next to him by lot. The way to give the new scheme the success which it deserves, is for every man to apply for a Yard room, and not to criticise and cause scepticism. The system has been inaugurated for the good of the class, and not in order that some few individuals might have the best chance for the room nearest the shower.