FRESHMEN ON PROBATION.

It has been found necessary once this year for us to address the Freshman class on the subject of laziness, but we did not expect to be called upon to repeat the accusation. The Freshmen, however, have again merited a rebuke, for when 80 men, or roughly, 13 per cent. of the class, have contrived to get on probation, it is time they be called to account. This number is not only unusually large, but is particularly exasperating because it exposes an utter and deplorable lack of responsibility among the Freshmen. There is a duty which every undergraduate owes to his class, if not to his parents; but many seem to feel it not at all. This duty to the class bears doubly hard on athletes and those in charge of class affairs, but those men in 1913 seem to have been the last to feel it. Probation means that a duty has been left undone and should be considered a stinging disgrace. It would be well for these 80 men to consider what such a complete lack of responsibility would win for them in the outside world.