HOTCHKISS, 1; FRESHMEN, 0

Last Game for 1913 Resulted In Closely Contested Pitchers' Battle

The Freshman baseball team was defeated by Hotchkiss School on Soldiers Field Saturday afternoon by the score of 1 to 0, in the last game of the season for both teams. On both sides the fielding was almost perfect, the Freshmen making the one error of the game. Brown's pitching for Hotchkiss was the feature of the game. He struck out sixteen men and allowed but one hit. Bartholf pitched a steady game for the Freshmen, striking out eleven men and allowing three hits.

Two of these hits, coming in the first inning, gave Hotchkiss her one run. Loftus singled, stole second, and scored on Brown's hard drive to centre field. The nearest the Freshmen came to scoring was in the second inning, when, with one out, Hollister was passed, was advanced to second on Watson's lone hit, and stole third, but was left there when Holbrook struck out, and Graves was out on a grounder to Pumpelly. Holbrook, at second base, played well for the Freshmen, fielding several difficult balls in faultless style.

The score by innings:

Batteries.--Harvard 1913: Bartholf and Graves; Hotchkiss: Brown and Loftus. Innings,  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  R.  H.  E. Freshmen,  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  1  1 Hotchkiss,  1  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  1  3  0