HISTORY 13 REPORTS.

Theses and written work in general have been much criticized as forming too great a part of the requirement in many courses. There can be no doubt, however, of their value as a means of gaining and testing knowledge, when the subjects of such exercises include important details of the central matter of any course. In History 13 the two long pieces of work, one in each half-year, are either mere bibliographies of some historical character or reports upon infinitesimal and often insignificant details of the slavery question. Among the former class of subjects the individuals treated are frequently of very minor importance.

The avowed purpose of any written work is to further or broaden the students' knowledge and appreciation of the main subject of a course. The History 13 reports do not fulfill this object nearly as effectively as they might, the CRIMSON makes bold to claim. The preparation of the bibliography consists of looking over the indexes of as many books as possible which may contain references to the man who is under consideration. If a short life of the man in question is required, the student must also summarize the shortest biography of the individual that he can find. The final knowledge which the student has gained is a superficial acquaintance with the external appearance and title pages of a number of books and a temporary familiarity with the chief events of the life of a single historical figure, too often of slight significance.

From the reports on slavery required in the second half-year, the same sort of knowledge is gained, but the books and subject matter concerned are frequently of even less importance. To require 20 or more hours work from a man broadly interested in American history in preparing a thesis upon "veritable instances of negro dialect in slavery times" is an imposition; and when the desired references are to books of such historical value as "Uncle Remus" it becomes almost ludicrous. To require from a serious student of the broad facts of our history an account of the best anti-slavery poem he can find is to force him to spend a large amount of time and effort in looking up a subject of so slight historical importance that its contribution to his general knowledge of the subject is nil.

The only permanent good to be derived from such work is a knowledge of the from and mechanism of library catalogues and a slight degree of ease in finding books. If this is the real object of such work, why include it in a course on American history when the reports could be made of such vastly greater value? If the advantage to an undergraduate gained by familiarity with the necessary red tape of the library is worth 20 or more hours work, its value increases in proportion of the time during which it can be of use. Why, then, have this exercise in connection with a course taken largely by Juniors and Seniors? The CRIMSON believes that the ability to use the library should be taught in connection with English A, if at all. The advantage of such training would then reach a large portion of each class and this in the Freshman year.