Results of Intercollegiate Tennis

The intercollegiate championship lawn tennis tournament was held at the Merion Cricket Club, Philadelphia, during the week of September 7.

The University was represented by C. S. Cutting '12, W. B. Fraser-Campbell '11, H. Nickerson '11, and A. Sweetser '11.

In the first round of singles Sweetser and Fraser-Campbell won their respective matches, while Sweetser was the only Harvard man to survive the second round. In the fourth round Sweetser met and defeated Mathey of Princeton, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2, and in the semi-final round he put out Dell of Princeton after a hard fight, 4-6, 12-10, 6-3, 9-7.

Sweetser's opponent in the final round was Holden of Yale. In the first set Sweetser's strokes were all working well and he won easily 6-3. Then Holden followed up his serve to the net and ran up whenever possible. Sweetser, however, came in seldom. This set showed Holden Sweetser's weakness and he was able to win the next two sets easily by the scores of 6-2 and 6-3. Sweetser showed greater care at the beginning of the fourth set. With Holden serving, Sweetser reached 5-6, 15-40, but Holden deuced the score and after taking the game broke through Sweetser's service and won the set and match, 8-6.

In the doubles matches Sweetser and Fraser-Campbell won their way into the semi-final round, where they lost to Mathey and Dell of Princeton, the winners of the championship.

The summary of matches in which Harvard players participated follows:

Singles.

First round.--A. Sweetser '11 defeated Cobb, Williams, 6-2, 6-2, 6-2; W. B. Fraser-Campbell '11 defeated McClave, Cornell, 7-5, 7-5, 6-4.

Second round.--Thomas, Princeton, defeated H. Nickerson '11, 5-7, 6-2, 7-5, 6-4; Sweetser defeated Gates, Yale, 8-6, 6-3, 6-2; Dell, Princeton, defeated C. S. Cutting '12, 5-7, 4-6, 6-3, 11-9, 6-1; Raleigh, Princeton, defeated Fraser-Campbell 6-8, 6-1, 6-3, 6-3.

Third round.--Sweetser defeated Mathey, Princeton, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2.

Semi-final round.--Sweetser defeated Dell, Princeton, 4-6, 12-10, 6-3, 9-7.

Final round.--Holden, Yale, defeated Sweetser, 3-6, 6-2, 6-3, 8-6.

Doubles.

First round.--Evans and Goodhue, Yale, defeated H. Nickerson '11 and C. S. Cutting '12, 11-9, 6-1; A. Sweetser '11 and W. B. Fraser-Campbell '11 defeated Hoagland and McClave, Cornell, 6-1, 6-4.

Second round.--Sweetser and Fraser-Campbell defeated Gates and Holden, Yale, 2-6, 6-4, 6-4.

Semi-final round.--Mathey and Dell, Princeton, defeated Sweetser and Fraser-Campbell, 6-3, 8-6.