Noted Lawyer to Lecture Tomorrow

Mr. F. J. Heney, of San Francisco, will deliver a lecture in the public series on "The Social Problem and its Remedies" in Emerson D tomorrow afternoon at 4.30 o'clock. With this lecture begins the part of the series that deals with remedies, previous lectures having merely defined the problem in its various aspects. Mr. Heney's special topic is "The Remedy by Prevention."

Mr. Heney is a noted lawyer. He graduated from the University of California, in 1875, and from the Hastings Law School in 1880. From 188 to 1894 he practiced law in Arizona, later moving to San Francisco. Since 1900 he has been the most prominent figure concerned in the fight for the abolition of bribery and graft on the Pacific Slope. He acted as attorney for the government in the Oregon land fraud cases, and later secured indictments against United States Attorney J. H. Hall, Senator Mitchell, G. C. Brownell, and others, for conspiring to protect guilty politicians. At this time he was serving as temporary district attorney in Oregon for the United States. While trying the cases for the removal of these men he was shot, but has entirely recovered from his wound.