Prof. Neilson on Elements of Poetry

Professor W. A. Nielson, of the department of English will give a series of eight free public lectures under the auspices of the Lowell Institute of Boston on "Some Elements of Poetry as Illustrated by the Literature of the Romantic Movement in England" in Huntington Hall, 491 Boylston street, Boston. These lectures will be given on Tuesdays and Fridays at 5 o'clock beginning Tuesday, February 7.

The subjects to be discussed in the lectures are as follows: February 7--"The Balance of Qualities in Poetry"; February 10--"Imagination and Romanticism"; February 14--"Imagination and Romanticism" continued; February 17--"Reason and Classicism"; February 21--"The Sense of Fact and Realism"; February 24--"Intensity in Poetry"; February 28--"Sentimentalism in Poetry"; March 3--"Humor in Poetry."

Admission tickets to the first lecture of the course, exchangeable at the door for course tickets with reserved seats, may be had by applying by mail to the Curator of the Lowell Institute, 491 Boylston street, and enclosing one stamped, addressed envelope for each ticket desired.

Sir John Murray in Huntington Hall.

Beginning on February 6 and continuing on Monday and Friday evenings at 8 o'clock for four weeks, Sir John Murray R.C.B., F.R.S., LL.D., of the Challenger Expedition will give a series of eight lectures on "The Ocean." These lectures will also be given in Huntington Hall and will be open to the public without charge, the arrangement for obtaining tickets being the same as that announced for Professor Neilson's lectures.

The subjects of the lectures are as follows: February 6--"The Hydrosphere, Deep Sea Instruments"; February 9--Depth of the Sea and Physical Conditions of Great Depth"; February 13--"The Composition of Ocean Water"; February 16--"Oceanic Temperature and Circulation"; February 20--"Plant Life in the Ocean"; February 23--"Animal Life in the Ocean"; February 27--Coral Reefs and Theories of Their Structure and Origin"; March 2--"The Floor of the Ocean."