FALL TRACK WORK.

One of the most unfortunate features of last year's athletics at Harvard was the poor record of the track team. Several things contributed to make the season a disappointing one. A few men were on the injured list and several others could not compete because of poor work in their studies. One of the most important reasons for the failure of the track team to win a meet, however, was that too few men reported for fall and winter work. As a result, a large number who should have done good work in the spring were ineffective. Track coaches are almost unanimous in saying that what serious faults a man has at the beginning of the spring will hinder him in all the meets of that year. Spring work must be devoted to improving a man's physical condition, while the fall and winter work should give him the technical training in his event. Each is a factor in the production of a successful runner, and each should receive the proper attention that it deserves.

If the fall and winter work is neglected, technical difficulties which should long have been overcome, impede rapid progress in the spring. If we are to have a successful track season this year all the candidates for the University and Freshman teams should report for daily work this fall. No amount of extra practice next spring can make up for lost work now.