G. P. GARDNER, JR., WON TENNIS

Captain of 1910 Team Beat S. Cutting '12 In Singles Championship.

G. P. Gardner, Jr., 1G.B., won the championship of the University in tennis yesterday by defeating C. S. Cutting 12, 6-4, 5-7, 6-4, 5-7, 6-2. The match was very closely contested, and nearly every game went to deuce. Both men played a steady back-court game, an seldom ran to the net except in the last set, Cutting's back-hand strokes were especially effective, and he passed Gardner repeatedly by accurate placing. Of the two, Gardner was the steadier, and played more aggressively.

In the first set, Cutting was unable to get his strokes working well, until Gardner led with the score 5 love. Cutting then braced and pulled up to 5.4, only to lose the next game on his own service, giving Gardner the set 6-4.

Gardner won the first two games in the next set through Cutting's wildness. Thereafter they steadied and forced the games to duce at 5-all. Here Gardner changed his tactics and ran to the net at almost every opportunity, only to be passed time and again by Cutting, who landed several excellent drives close to the side lines, and won the set, 7-5.

In the third set both contestants played almost entirely a back-court game, with many long rallies. Gardner again obtained a two-game lead, which Cutting tied at 3 all. The former won the next two games and lost the ninth, but finally broke through his opponent's service for the set.

The fourth set was largely a repetition of the second, Gardner winning the opening games, and allowing Cutting to tie the score again at 5 all. Here Gardner twisted his ankle slightly, but continued paying. Cutting ran out the set with the next two games, and won 7-5.

Cutting became rather erratic in the deciding set, making successive drives into the net. With the score 3-2 in his favor, Gardner forced the play and won the last three games in succession.

In the doubles tournament yesterday, H. H. Bundy 1L. and E. P. Pearson 3L. reached the final round by defeating E. R. Hastings '14 O. Williams '14, 6-2, 4-6, 6-4.

The Gardner-Whitney vs. Pearson-Nickerson match has been postponed until Monday.