Progress of Subway Terminal

Work on the terminal of the Cambridge subway near Harvard square is being pushed in order that it may be completed in time for the opening of the new rapid transit line in December. The steel frames for the machine shop and for the inspection shed, built on solid concrete foundations several feet below the level of the surrounding streets, are already erected. Several tracks are also laid from the mouth of the subway leading to the yard and shops. The terminal yard lies between Boylston and Murray streets. Beside the shops there is a large storage yard for the subway trains.

Although there are but two tracks in the tunnel beyond the Harvard square station they branch out into three at the entrance of the terminal yard where they connect with any one of 20 tracks in the shop, shed and the storage yard. The yard plans show three tracks in the machine shop, five in the inspection shed, nine in the storage yard, of which only six will be installed now, an extra track on the other side, and a loop track around the entire terminal.

The tracks in the buildings have pits under them for inspection of the running gear and repair work. The loop track makes direct connection with the Harvard square station and swings around the terminal to a long platform on the Boylston street side, called the "football platform." This track and platform will be used exclusively for the athletic games at the Stadium. There are eight exits and entrances with short flights of stairs from the street to the platform.

The total capacity of the tracks in the terminal yard is 140 cars; 70 in the storage yard including the three extra tracks, 45 in the shops and the remainder on the loop and other tracks. The terminal is about 700 feet by 350 feet and is connected with the surface by an incline from the loop track to Murray street.