DECISIVE VICTORY IN FOOTBALL

UNIVERSITY TEAM DISPLAYED SURPRISING POWER IN OFFENCE AND DEFENCE SATURDAY.

Not since 1903, when the score was 29 to 0 in favor of Harvard, has the University team rolled up such a score against Brown as it did in the Stadium on Saturday afternoon. When the last whistle blew, the scoreboard read 20 to 6 in favor of the home team. Then those who had seen the smoothness and power of the Harvard attack, the speed of the Harvard ends, and the bed-rock stability of the Harvard defence, even against the most open of open games, began to realize that at last the team had come into its own and possesses the makings of a championship eleven. In fact the playing Saturday was of the late November order and was a decided surprise to undergraduates as well as to those less closely connected with the team's daily development.

Most of the high hopes which Brown enthusiasts had cherished as to the resisting power of their line were speedily dashed in the first five minutes of play. In that time, by means of the smashing attack which has characterized the University backfield in the last few games, the ball was advanced from Harvard's 45-yard line to Brown's 15-yard line. The ball went to Brown on a forward pass but Huntington recovered Tenney's fumble on the next play and it took just three rushes for Wendell to pierce Brown's line for the first touchdown. Fisher kicked an easy goal. Two more touchdowns, a drop-kick by Milholland and one goal from touchdown completed Harvard's scoring for a total of 20 points.

Brown's only score came after a truly brilliant series of plays in the second period. Starting at the middle of the field, Sprackling passed to Ashbaugh close to the sidelines for a gain of 20 yards. The next forward pass was even more spectacular. After two vain attempts to gain through the line. Sprackling shot the ball at an angle to the left and directly into the hands of Adams, who was running at top speed as he caught the ball. Although he made the catch on the 16-yard line, he had crossed the 5-yard mark before a Harvard player pulled him down. Again the University line refused to let the Brown backs through, but Sprackling had a play for just such an occasion. On a delayed pass O'Brien. Harvard's left end, was pulled in, allowing Tenney, who had the ball, to rush over the line for the first score of the season against the Harvard. team. Ashbaugh kicked a very difficult goal.

It would be difficult to give a complete description of the excellent all-around work of the University team. For those who saw the game almost every member of the original eleven men and not a few of the substitutes stand out as participants in one or more exhibitions of the sort of football one likes to see. Perhaps the two most spectacular plays, Brown's brilliant scoring not excepted, were performed by Potter and Campbell, respectively. Recovering a fumble by Sprackling on Brown's 40-yard line, the Harvard halfback, aided by the sort of interference which continually defied the Brown forwards, ran the remaining distance for a touchdown. Potter soon made another five points possible by the prettiest sort of open field work. Reynolds was waiting to catch one of Sprackling's punts on Harvard's 40-yard line when Potter, rushing in front of him, caught the ball on the run, and circled the left end of the entire Brown team for a gain of 67 yards. He was forced out of bounds by Bartlett on Brown's 3-yard line.

The playing of the ends was particularly good, especially that of Smith, who did whirlwind work in getting down the field under punts and in catching Potter's passes. At tackle Gardiner and Hitchcock time and again caught the Brown runners from behind, while Fisher repeated his impregnable defence of the right guard position. At quarterback Potter ran the team without a fault and his punts easily outdistanced those of his opponent, Sprackling. As a field general there appeared little choice between the two. Both took many chances, Potter making four forward passes and Sprackling six, and each was successful in half the attempts. Both quarterbacks played a game of football far above the average at this season of the year.

As to the Harvard backfield little adverse criticism can be found. Wendell, as usual, played the line-tearing game to perfection, and he was responsible for nearly all the gains through the centre positions. At left halfback Campbell played the best game of his career to date, his 18-yard run at the beginning of the game making possible the first score. He is the fastest man in the backfield when carrying the ball, and his dodging was a feature of Saturday's game. At fullback Huntington played during the whole game. His strong point was his excellent defensive work and his quick way of following the ball on fumbles and concealed plays.

Altogether the work of the whole team was a revelation of latent power.

The summary follows:

HARVARD.  BROWN.Smith, Hollister, l.e.  r.e., AshbaughHitchcock, l.t.  r.t., Bartlett, GelbLeslie, McGuire, l.g.  r.g., GoldbergStorer, Parmenter, c.  c., MitchellFisher, Keays, r.g.  l.g., KulpGardiner, Jenckes, r.t.  l.t., KratzFelton, O'Brien, r.e.  l.e., Adams, WilsonPotter, Freedley, q.b.  q.b., SpracklingCampbell, Milholland, Reynolds, Pierce, l.h.b.  r.h.b., TenneyWendell, Morrison, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Crowther, Marble, MetcalfHuntington, f.b.  f.b., Jones, Snel