Mr. Lauderburn on "Social Service"

The first regular weekly meeting of the St. Paul's Society was held in the Noble Room of Phillips Brooks House last evening at 7 o'clock. The service was conducted by the Rev. F. C. Lauderburn of St. Stephens Church, Boston. Mr. Lauderburn has had wide experience in social service work in both New York and Boston.

The subject of Mr. Lauderburn's talk was "Social Service." After speaking of the intimate connection which has long existed between St. Stephen's Church and Harvard, he explained the reason for the college man's influence in social work. The college man wants a hard job; the tougher the problem that presents itself the more likelihood there is of getting an undergraduate to help. St. Stephen's attempts to do a large work in one of the hardest districts of Boston. If it is successful at all it is because the work is difficult and because it draws forth the efforts of men of ability.

Social Service is perhaps characterized by the word "and." The more there is done, the more there is still to do. Two necessary virtues for the social servant are love and faith--faith in himself and in humanity; but perhaps more necessary than either of these is the virtue of hope. Love and faith will both sometimes fail. Hope, the will to look forward to brighter things, still remains.

After a brief discussion and a short talk on plans for the year by President Austin the meeting was adjourned.