EFFECTIVE SINGING.

If you should ask the first man you meet this morning if he knows how to sing, he will probably look at you as if he thought you were still asleep and answer "Of course, anybody can!"

It has been just this notion that any man can sing, whether he has ever had any training or not, that has been responsible for the poor singing at Harvard in the past. A few Amherst men or a few Williams men have come to Cambridge and have put the singing of the entire Harvard stands to shame.

Anybody who went to the mass meeting last night must have gone away impressed with the fact that there is a "right way" to sing and a "wrong way." The difference may not seem great, and the points that Hancock, the leader, brought out may appear trivial, but they are responsible for the entire difference between the effective and stimulating singing of our opponents and our own. The remedy is simple. First of all, everybody must know the words of the old songs and of such new ones as may be selected. Then the way is open for Hancock to show us how we can turn our pitiful attempts of the past into real singing. This does not mean that he is to do it all for us. He can sing himself, and he can tell us how not to sing, but only the determined effort of each one of us to do our part and sing, in the "right way" can bring about the effective singing that we should have at Harvard.