LECTURE BY DR. W.L. SMITH

On Mountain Climbing and Hunting in Tyrol in Living Room of Union.

Dr. William Lord Smith '86 will deliver a lecture on "Dolomites of the Tyrol, Mountain Climbing and Chamois Shooting," in the Living Room of the Union this evening at 8 o'clock.

After he was graduated from Harvard, Dr. Smith studied medicine at the Medical School, receiving his degree in 1892. He then spent two years abroad, in Vienna and in Berlin. During this time he made several hunting expeditions after big game, not only for the shooting, but also for the purpose of studying the life-history of the animals, and the principles of protective coloration. Shortly thereafter Dr. Smith made an extensive trip, first to Somaliland and British East Africa, then from Alaska down through Korea, China, Java, and Persia. He then returned to Zermatt, and climbed several of the highest peaks in Switzerland, among them the Matterhorn, Weisshorn, and Dent-Blanche.

In his talk on the Dolomites, Dr. Smith will cover roughly the district between Cortina and Botzen, and will illustrate his lecture by numerous lantern-slides. The lecture is open only to members of the Union.