UNPROFITABLE TRACK TRIP

Poor Weather Made Daily-Work Irregular.--Annapolis Meet Cancelled.

Twenty-one members of the University track team were taken on the southern trip during the Easter recess. The squad arrived at Baltimore Saturday morning, April 15, and held its first practice Saturday afternoon on the Johns Hopkins Athletic Field. The men remained in Baltimore until Thursday morning, making their headquarters at the Hotel Stafford and taking luncheon each day at the Baltimore Country Club.

The work of the squad was greatly handicapped owing to poor weather conditions. Coach Donovan, who had charge of the men, planned for morning and afternoon practice each day, but this being impossible under the circumstances, daily practice was held on Johns Hopkins field when the weather and condition of the track permitted. Time trials were held on Wednesday morning and several good performances were made, especially by P. R. Withington '12, H. Jaques, Jr., '11, and H. W. Kelley '11, in the mile, half-mile, and 220-yard dash, respectively.

On Thursday morning the squad went to Annapolis, where it was entertained at the Naval Academy. The team made its headquarters at Bancroft Hall and took its meals at the Navy training table. Practice was held on the Navy track Thursday afternoon, but unfavorable weather again made anything but light work impossible. The men were given a rest on Friday, as a dual track meet with Annapolis was scheduled for Saturday. However, owing to a severe wind and rain storm, the meet was declared off after the first event, the 100-yard dash. In this event, P. G. M. Austin '13 and K. S. Billings '12 were entered for Harvard, Austin winning third place, and Wild and Carey, of the Navy, finishing in first and second places respectively. The time was 10 seconds. The squad left Annapolis Saturday afternoon, the majority of the men returning to Cambridge yesterday morning.

The trip was marred by injuries to R. C. Foster '11, H. Jaques, Jr., '11, and J. K. Lewis '11. Jaques and Lewis will be able to resume practice this week, but Foster may be unable to do heavy work for several days.