SOCCER TEAM IN FAST GAME

Defeated Columbia, 3 to 0.--Ranks Second in Intercollegiate League.

The University association football team defeated Columbia in the Stadium Saturday afternoon by the score of 3 to 0. Harvard is now ranked second in the intercollegiate league, Haverford and Columbia being tied for first place. This is the first defeat for Columbia for two years, during which time they have held the championship.

The University forwards displayed a more concerted attack than at any previous time this season. Seamans and Needham were particularly aggressive, many times carrying the ball unassisted far into Columbia's territory. In the back field Fish and Barron worked well together, leaving but few stops for Chadwick. Columbia's forward line showed practically no team play, though Dwyer and Gordon did excellent individual work.

Columbia won the toss and chose the north goal. For half an hour the ball went from one side to the other, threatening both goals. The first score was made on a centre from Byng which bounced high and was headed in by Winston. Five minutes later Seamans netted the ball on a drive from scrimmage. With but three minutes to play Needham dribbled the ball past three Columbia men and shot from the side-line. The ball caught in the very corner of the net.

In the second half there was no scoring. After 18 minutes of play Dwyer tried a hard drive from scrimmage, but Chadwick made an excellent stop and quickly kicked out of danger. Later Seamans tried a corner kick which the high wind carried just over the goal.

The University team plays its next league game with Yale at New Haven, April 12, instead of on April 15, as announced. The Summary: HARVARD.  COLUMBIA. Chadwick, g.  g., Murphy Barron, r.f.b.  l.f.b., Tsai Fish, l.f.b.  r.f.b., Spencer Richard, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Calquhoun Eaton, c.h.b.  c.h.b., Evans Hallowell, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Heagey Needham, r.o.f.  l.o.f., Zoller Seamans, r.i.f.  l.i.f., Semple Winston, c.f.  c.f., Dwyer Greene, l.i.f.  r.i.f., Gordon Byng, l.o.f.  r.o.f., O'Brien

Score--Harvard, 3: Columbia, 0. Goals--Needham, Seamans, Winston. Referee--W. Hawkesley. Linesmen--W.S. Morriss '11. J. Swan '12. Time--45-minute halves.