LOST ARTICLES.

At present there is no recognized lost article office in the University. What is found in Memorial or Randall Hall is usually deposited at the office in the building, while books lost in Sever usually find their way to University Hall. In the Union at present there is a stack of note-books waiting to be called for by owners who may be utterly at a loss to locate them.

Such lack of system necessarily results in confusion. The man who has lost a note-book, which he desires to regain as soon as possible, does not know where to apply. The finder, since he knows of no way to reach the loser, is encouraged to pocket the object, if he can use it, or leave it to be picked up by the attendant.

There is needed in the University, a central clearing house for lost and found articles, in charge of one responsible official. Here objects could be left to await an owner, and here the owner would always apply. Much confusion might thus be obviated and advertising would be unnecessary. Such an office could easily be established in the cloak room of Gore Hall; the location is central and the attendant now in charge is burdened with no very heavy duties. The extra expense could amount to but very little, while the value of an efficient and well recognized lost and found bureau to the entire University must appear obvious.