J. V. Martin to Fly in Aero. Meet

Among the performers at the aviation meet which opens this afternoon at the Metz Aerodrome, Waltham, is J. V. Martin, vice-president of the Harvard Aeronautical Society.

At present Mr. Martin is engaged in perfecting his machines, and while it is possible that he may attempt a short flight today, it is probable that he will not fly until tomorrow. Mr. Martin uses two machines, one a "Baby Grahame-White," and the other a large Farman biplane, built by the Burgess-Curtis Company, of Marblehead. During the meet he will probably use the smaller machine for a flight for a cash prize around the State House.

Mr. Martin became interested in aviation several years ago, and was very active in the formation of the Harvard Aeronautical Society. Last year he went abroad to study in the school of Claude Grahame-White, and after completing the regular course met with such success that he became an instructor in the school for the remainder of the year.

Since his return to this country, Mr. Martin has made several short flights, including one from Waltham to the Stillman Infirmary and back, a distance of approximately ten miles.