HARVARD SQUARE STATION

Description of Subway "Shelter."--Progress of Underground Work.

Within the past few days the Hugh Nawn Construction Company has been completing the foundation work of the "shelter" at the Harvard square and of the Cambridge subway. The granite blocks which are to form the base of the structure above ground are now in place and the company expects to begin at once on the superstructure.

The station, which was designed by R. F. Peabody, of the firm of Peabody & Stearns, of Boston, will harmonize as much as possible with the long slope-way to the north and with the Yard fence and class gates, all being built of brick with sandstone trimmings. This fact, an unusual one in traction construction, will add greatly to the general appearance of the Square. The interior, and underground part of the structure will be finished in white tiles.

President Condition of Subway.

Owing to the comparatively slow progress on the Beacon Hill tunnel it is expected that the Cambridge end will be completed first, or sometime during the coming fall. At present the working force is engaged in installing the electric light wiring and in ballasting the track at the Kimball square station. Crushed stone will be laid as a foundation for the ties and tracks throughout the whole length of the subway. None of the cables or trolley wires have yet been installed. These will be put in after the other wiring is completed as will the tilling at all three stations. Although it was hoped at one time that cars would be running in the subway by the Yale football game next fall, at present February 1 seems a more likely date.