FOOTBALL PRACTICE LIGHT

University Team Took Short Work.--Freshmen in Rudimentary Drill.

Coach Haughton ordered the last morning practice of the season yesterday for the University football team. With the opening of College today there will be but one practice session beginning at 3.30 o'clock. In all probability 3 o'clock will be the hour after the first few games.

Most of the time yesterday morning was spent in signal drill with a turn at the fundamentals toward the end of the period. There was no scrimmage, but a brief line-up was held to let the coaches show the players their positions at all times during the various formations. Felton was tried at right halfback and Milholland took Felton's place at left end. After the line-up there was a period of blocking off and upsetting the runners with the ball. Then, in order to perfect the men inthis sort of play, they were instructed to throw themselves at the dummies without tackling, the rules providing that no runner except the one who carries the ball may be tackled by an opponent.

In the afternoon the most emphasis was layed on the "dummy scrimmages," all the coaches except Haughton and Hurley being on the field. These now include Cutler, Foster, Hann, Leary, Leslie, and P. Withington. During the first part of the period the University team was on the offence against the University substitutes. Feltton was at his old position at left end. Wendell was not in the line-up on account of a very minor injury, and Wigglesworth is still a little under the weather. For the last part of the practice the first team lined up in defensive formation and Huntington went in at center.

The fence has been erected around the track at the open end of the Stadium and the gridiron has been marked out so that the squad will move to the regular field in a day or two.

Freshman Practice.

The practice of the 1915 football squad yesterday consisted chiefly of the usual long drill in the rudiments of the game. Falling on the ball and tackling the dummy were practiced under the direction of Coaches H. C. Dewey '12 and J. Parker '13 who were assisted by G. H. Balch '12. After this the ends were given a long drill in running down under punts with the backfield candidates doing the kicking and running in. No tackling was allowed however, the men merely being instructed in the elementary principles of their positions.

In the meanwhile the linemen were given practice in starting, breaking through and blocking. L. Withington, Jr., '11, assisted in coaching the men in this department of the game. After this the ends were given practice in taking forward passes.

There is still nearly two weeks before the first game of the season with Groton on October 11. The squad this year appears to contain exceptionally heavy material and the prospects for a strong team are bright. The men are slowly getting into condition and a scrimmage will undoubtedly be held soon.