THE WORK OF BROOKS HOUSE

AS THE RELIGIOUS CENTRE OF THE UNIVERSITY EXPLAINED BY PRESIDENT LOWELL.

President Lowell was the principal speaker at the exercises in commemoration of the twelfth anniversary of the founding of Phillips Brooks House, held in Brooks House last evening.

Phillips Brooks '55 embodied the very type of man that Brooks House stands for--genial, vigorous, manly, and above all human. His life was an undying proof of the tremendous value to the world of great talents guided by consecration.

There was a time at the University when religion was looked upon as a mere ornament to life and something quite outside the range of normal, active men. But the influence of Brooks House during the past twelve years has done away with this idea. One of the most striking things about the University community today is the alert interest that so many men take in some one other than themselves. A religious life exists here which should reach out and unite the whole University--and Phillips Brooks House must supply the common ground.

A. Beane '11, graduate secretary of Brooks House, gave a summary of the work done this year along the lines of social service and Bible study, and said that the policy of Brooks House is to be one of general usefulness to the College and to the outside community, but the co-operation of the whole-University must be had if this policy is to be realized in the coming years.