PLANS FOR ANNIVERSARY

150TH YEAR OF HOLLIS HALL WILL BE CELEBRATED NEXT SPRING.

The inmates of Hollis Hall are planning to hold next spring a celebration in honor of the 150th anniversary of its erection. At the meeting to consider arrangements F. E. Richter '13 was elected permanent chairman. He appointed an organization committee made up as follows: D. E. Dunbar '13, G. T. Driscoll '13, H. J. Smith '13, and A. P. McMahon '13. When the exact nature of the celebration has been decided on, other committees will be chosen to look after details.

Hollis Hall was built by the Province of Massachusetts Bay in 1763, at a cost of nearly $25,000, and was named after the first Thomas Hollis in consideration of his many services to the University during the first century of its existence. At the time of the Revolutionary War Hollis was occupied for a time by soldiers, suffering considerable damage thereby.

In its service as a college dormitory, Hollis has sheltered some of the most celebrated of Harvard men. Among them have been Ralph Waldo Emerson '21; the orators Edward Everett 1811 and Wendell Phillips '31; the historians George Bancroft 1817, Francis Parkman '44, and Charles Francis Adams '25; the great jurists Josiah Quincy '63, and Joseph H. Choate '52. President Lowell and President Eliot were also residents of the hall during their undergraduate days.