THE QUESTION OF SINGING.

If it is poor policy to sing at football games, the present undergraduates at Harvard are free from criticism. This year, as for several years past, the question of singing has been left until the very week of one of the most important games. We do not wish to enter into a discussion of whether or not singing is a good thing, but we do wish to point out the very apparent fact that unless something is done very soon, the Harvard singing at the Princeton game will be a dismal failure. If the experience of former years justifies prophecy, several mass meetings will be held in the near future and at these mass meetings a great deal of valuable time will be lost in trying to learn new songs that will never be sung at the game. A few of the old songs will be tried and at the games only a small number of those in the cheering section will really know any songs at all. Our suggestion for a remedy is a very simple one. There should be held as soon as possible the first of a series of mass meetings, and at these mass meetings most of the time should be spent in mastering thoroughly several of the old football songs. In this way something like good singing at the Princeton game, and thereafter, may be heard; otherwise what little singing there is will be even worse than that heard at some of the games last year.