TO NATIONALIZE HARVARD

PRESIDENT LOWELL SPOKE OF HELP WHICH TERRITORIAL CLUBS CAN GIVE.

The first open meeting of the Harvard Federation of Territorial Clubs was held in the Assembly Room of the Union on Wednesday evening. President Lowell, the first speaker, traced briefly the development of the University in point of territorial distribution of students, and outlined the recent attempts, through the New Plan examinations and Harvard Clubs scholarships, to "nationalize" the student body. "To bring men from all over the country to Harvard, and to take Harvard to them" is the immediate aim of these measures. The ultimate end, aside from all pride which we might have in the University, is the national welfare. To bring men from the south and west to this New England University not only broadens Harvard but binds and unites the entire nation.

Value of New Federation.

In connection with this nationalization, the Federation will greatly increase the efficiency of the constituent clubs in their work in their respective territories, by co-operation and exchange of ideas, and by acting in collaboration with the graduate organizations. Here in College it will aid in making the arrival of new men more pleasant, in supplying information, and in affording an indispensable opening for social intercourse and fellowship.

Other Speakers.

Mr. J. D. Phillips '97, vice-president of the New England Federation, spoke of the need which the various clubs had of a connection with the undergraduates from their respective sections. Rev. M. O. Simons '91, former president of the Associated Harvard Clubs, also spoke of this function of the new Federation, and lent his hearty approval and enthusiastic support to the project. H. G. Clemans '11 then told of the measures and experiments of the Minnesota Club, and showed how extensively the new organization would be of service.