COST OF COLLEGE EDUCATION

Figures Show Increase During Last Twenty Years in Eastern Colleges.

Some interesting figures have been compiled by Mr. H. T. Claus for the Transcript to show that the cost of a college education has increased very considerably since 1892. The average increase in tuition fees for thirty colleges for which statistics were taken was slightly more than 40 per cent. The rate of increase in the cost of board for about the same colleges was 23 per cent. At Harvard and Yale there have been no substantial changes in tuition. The cost of board at Harvard has, however, increased 22 per cent since 1892.

Following is a tale giving the percentage increase in the two items of expense considered, namely tuition and board, in some of the eastern colleges.   Board  Tuition Amherst,  18  27 Columbia,  --  0 Dartmouth,  50  46 Harvard,  22  0 Princeton,  35  6 Smith,  0  50 Tufts,  33  25 Vassar,  16  200 Wellesley,  30  16 Williams,  50  33 Yale  --  0

Mr. Claus accounts for the increase by the rise in the standards of living at colleges, and by the generally prevalent rise of prices which has taken place in the last twenty years in this country.