HARVARD AND THE THEATRE.

We are sometimes told that the college of today is deteriorating into a mere training school for business: that culture and the arts are sadly neglected: that the student devotes all his time to Economics and Science. Granting that in the main this accusation is true (though by no means admitting the implied evils of such a situation), we take issue with the statement that Literature and Fine Arts no longer have their place within the University. That these interests are still alive among certain groups of undergraduates is well shown, not alone by lists of courses, but also by many student organizations, and even more by the careers of college men after they take their degrees.

It is a subject of congratulation for Harvard that its graduates are attaining success in that most difficult field, the writing of plays. The University looks with pride upon the achievements of such men as Edward Sheldon and Vaughn Moody, and upon the stamp of popular approval which was put upon "Salvation Nell" and "The Great Divide." The fact that John Frederick Ballard, a second year graduate student in 1911-12, has this year won the Craig Prize, is extremely satisfactory from Harvard's view point. Indeed, there seems to be a general quickening of interest in the theatre. It is with pleasure, therefore, that we note the appearance of a now play by a Harvard man, Earl Derr Biggers '07, at the Plymouth Theatre, this afternoon.

The name of this production, "If You're Only Human," correctly conveys an atmosphere of friendly comedy. The piece is to be given by the William Parke players, who have gained an enviable reputation through the successful operation of the Citizen's Theatre at Pittsfield. That this company should undertake the production is a good sign and augurs well for its favorable acceptance by the New York managers who are to look it over today. The fact that the play is written by a Harvard man, who has already shown excellent ability in literary and dramatic work, and that this is its initial performance should insure a good attendance of Harvard men this afternoon.