A NEW GAME OF FOOTBALL.

Three years ago the Football Rules Committee introduced the forward pass and extended the distance to be gained in three rushes to 10 yards. Their intention at that time was to eliminate the injuries incident to mass play and open up the game for spectator as well as player. The game consequently developed in such a way as to make scoring difficult, the rules favoring defensive much more than offensive play. More and more the outcome depended upon kicking and, other things being equal, the side with the best kicker pulled out just ahead. When the punters were only fairly evenly matched, as between Harvard and Yale, the final score stood 0 to 0. Princeton, the 1911 championship team used the forward pass practically not at all, but depended upon an impregnable defence and quick following of the ball. To break the deadlock and thereby balance offensive with defensive play, the Committee has just drawn up a new set of rules which radically changes the game for spectator as well as player.

In the first place the allowing of four downs in which to make the required ten yards should greatly increase the effectiveness of the offense; scoring will be more frequent and punting will be practically eliminated. Both are decided improvements, for by higher scoring relative strengths are more easily determined, and punting often became monotonous in the former game. Yet by causing a touchdown to count six points, two drop-kicks will not equal one touchdown and goal from touchdown. Hence, drop-kicking has also been practically eliminated; not an altogether desirable feature from the spectators' point of view. In connection with the four-down change it has been argued that the game will immediately return to the old form of mass play, but a member of the Committee says that the present "no pushing or pulling" rule will rob the former weight work of its effectiveness. In any case the offense has been balanced, if not over-balanced. With four chances to gain 10 yards and with the privilege to throw the forward pass any distance (thus compelling the defending side to maintain a secondary defence well back of the line of scrimmage) it will require a strong set of forwards to hold even a mediocre back-field for downs. In other words, where the teams are equally matched, possession of the ball will be everything. Very few games, even those between teams of the same strength, should result in no score for either side.

With the change of style of play will come a change in the sort of players required for the different positions. There would seem to be a premium on light, fast ends, due to the variety of forward passes to be executed and guarded against; while quarterbacks who can throw far and accurately, and backs who can vary strong line-plunging with good secondary defensive work will be in demand.

Altogether the new rules are promising in theory. At least they should provide a winner for each game, and high scores will be more truly significant. Whether or not too much power has been given the offense, as was the case before with the defence, remains to be seen. At any rate next season should be one of the most interesting in the history of football.