UNIVERSITY OFFICERS AS UNION LECTURERS.

Two years ago, Assistant Dean Castle delivered a lecture on "Hawaii" in the Union. Superficially, this does not seem to be a fact worth drawing your attention to, but we do call your attention to it, for the simple reason that it is a rare thing for a member of the Faculty to deliver a lecture there. On this occasion the CRIMSON was so impressed by the opportunity which the Union was losing, in not asking others of the Faculty to give similar talks, that it published an editorial urging that lectures by members of the Faculty be less rare in the future.

Nevertheless, in the intervening two years, this opportunity has been almost completely neglected. To be sure Professor Copeland has read and lectured there, but he has been an exception. Even his success as an exception has not stirred the Union to a sense of what it is losing. There are many professors in this University who have favorite topics, which we can only catch glimpses of in their courses, and can never fully enjoy, for they are either off the subject, or are else in too light a vein for the most serious hours of work. If we could only hear the professors let loose in some of these fields, we should not only pass a pleasant evening, but should learn a great deal in the most pleasant and relaxed way. Perhaps, most important of all, we could see the professors in a different light. It is very unfortunate if the student knows his teacher only as the impersonal and trained man behind the desk, but such is often the case. There are many ways of trying to bring new relations between teacher and taught, but it seems to us that one of the most effective, and certainly one of the most natural and easy, is to induce members of the Faculty to assume the more general relationship of informal lecturer to a Union audience.