Class in General Gymnastics

A valuable opportunity for all around physical development has been offered in the class in general gymnastic exercises, conducted daily in the Hemenway Gymnasium by Carl L. Schrader. The class was organized the first Monday after College opened in September, and held its exercises on the cement courts back of the Gymnasium. When the weather no longer permitted out-of-door work, the class met in the Gymnasium. At first about 25 to 35 men attended and this number grew to 110. The average attendance has been 60.

The purpose of the class is to development physically by a general and pleasant form of all around exercise. This is accomplished in a novel and efficient manner. Five groups of floor exercises are held, consisting of either dumb-bell or wand drills. Between these groups Mr. Schrader inserts a form of dancing, thus combining a training in the finer senses of co-ordination and rhythm with regular exercise. After the floor exercises are completed, eight or nine folk dances modified for couples, are practiced.