PIERIAN SODALITY DINNER

Optimistic Speeches Marked One Hundred and Fourth Anniversary.

The annual dinner of the Pierian Sodality marking its hundred and fourth anniversary was held last night in the Trophy Room of the Union. C. D. Clifton '12, conductor of the orchestra from 1909 to 1911, acted as toastmaster. After a brief talk on the history of the Sodality, he introduced Professor W. R. Spalding '87, of the department of Music.

Professor Spalding's speech dealt chiefly with the relations of musical ability as a branch of general scholarship, to ability in other directions. The great power of music is as a relaxation after exertion either mental or physical; there is nothing that equally soothes and refreshes the mind or body. The entertainment of others by music is a laudable activity, and should be recognized as such; and this emphasizes the point that, in the matter of affording pleasure to an audience, concerts go just as far as any other from of amusement.

Other Speeches.

Dean Hurlbut, the next-speaker, gave a general account of the relation of the office to the student. He recounted a number of highly humorous reminiscences of his musical life in college. Then, seriously, he spoke strongly of the past accomplishments of the Sodality and praised the work in which it is at present engaged.

Dr. P. G. Clapp '09, of the department of Music, then gave an account of the beginning of the first orchestras in America and of the obstacles that had to be overcome. In view of these facts, the establishment of the Sodality as early as 1808 is all the more remarkable, and its position as the oldest college organization of the kind in the country is all the more dignified. Professor W. C. Heilman '00, of the department of Music, congratulated the Sodality on its success as an orchestra, since elsewhere organizations of pianists alone are common enough. L. G. del Castillo '14, conductor of the orchestra, reviewed the work of the year, giving a hopeful view of the prospects for the future. C. S. Parker '12, president of the Sodality, completed the list of speeches with a comment on the recent successes of the orchestra.