SUGGESTIONS TO HISTORIANS

Noted English Historian Addressed History Club Last Night.

Dr. John Holland Rose, of Cambridge University, England spoke before the History Club in the Common Room of Conant Hall yesterday evening at 8 o'clock. Dr. Rose is noted as a literary man, historian, and extension lecturer. His more important historical works are "The Rise of Democracy", "The Life of Napoleon I" and "The Life of William Pitt the Younger." He offered suggestions based upon his own experience for the guidance of American students intending to engage in historical research in England. Historical manuscripts are to be derived from five general sources, the Public Record Office, the manuscript department of the British Museum, the archives of Oxford and of Cambridge University, and various private collections. After securing access to the necessary documents and gathering the material wanted, the student must get it into readable, literary form by amplification and condensation.

Dr. Rose compared the facilities for study at Harvard with those of Cambridge University, remarking upon the advantages Harvard has over the English University because of more generous endowments.