W. S. Burke on Fire Protection.

Communications

(We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest, but assume no responsibility for sentiments expressed under this head.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Referring to the editorial "Where the Corporation Should Act" in the issue of March 1, in which you criticise "Fire Escapes in Yard Buildings" I should like to call your attention to the following under date of May, 1910, from the Report to the Treasurer of the University, by the Independence Inspection Bureau of Philadelphia, experts in fire protection.

"Fire Escape. Present Conditions."

"We are pleased indeed to find that you have made special efforts to provide the various buildings, particularly the dormitories, with ample escape facilities, . . . . . . . ."

"City Fire Alarm."

"The fire alarm system is considered to be ample, as regards main line boxes, and we were glad to find that your excellent fire chart is liberally posted about the property."

I should also like to call your attention to the rope fire escapes which are located in each bedroom above the first floor that does not connect with an iron fire escape. These are of the best type obtainable, and are, I believe, entirely satisfactory. They are inspected monthly and tested annually. For immediate use, standard chemical fire extinguishers are placed in all porters' rooms, and all entries. These are inspected monthly, and discharged and recharged annually, Diagrams giving the location and description of the hydrants, hose, ladders, and other apparatus, are posted in all entries. At the Brattle Square Station of the Cambridge Fire Department, are located a fire engine, hose wagon, and hook and ladder truck. The Department may be called by telephone at any one of the several telephone stations in each of the dormitories. You will note also that hydrants are particularly well located, both inside the College Yard and outside, with reference to the dormitories. People well versed in the subject of fire protection consider our dormitories very well protected.

Following your suggestion, the Resident Board this morning approved keeping certain corridor lights burning all night.

In connection with the above the following will be of interest. Several months ago the Corporation authorized the installation of automatic gongs in dormitories to waken the occupants in case of night fires. The apparatus required was special, and it was only recently that apparatus was approved for this purpose. It will be installed as soon as it can be manufactured. Automatic sprinklers are being installed at critical points in the basements.  Very truly yours,  WALTER S. BURKE.  Inspector