CHANGE IN GRADUATE SCHOOL

OF APPLIED SCIENCE IN EFFECT AT BEGINNING OF NEXT ACADEMIC YEAR.

The Corporation and Overseers have approved the recommendation of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences that the present Graduate School of Applied Science be reorganized into a group of Graduate Schools of Applied Science, which will be administered by a separate faculty. This group will include Graduate Schools of Engineering, of Mining and Metallurgy, of Architecture and Landscape Architecture, of Forestry, and of Applied Biology.

Separation of Elementary and Advanced Courses.

The instruction now given in the subjects represented in these schools will be redistributed in order to make a more distinct division between the elementary courses in applied science, many of which are of value to undergraduates as part of a liberal education, and the more advanced and strictly technical courses which belong wholly in a graduate professional school. To provide for some of the former there will be organized in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences a new Division of Engineering Sciences. To this will be transferred the courses in projection drawing, the elementary course in mechanics, which is really a course in mathematics, the summer courses at Squam Lake in surveying, and railroad engineering (first course), the four summer courses in shopwork, the introductory courses in steam machinery and in generation, transmission, and utilization of electrical energy, both of which are of value to men who are going into manufacturing industries or railroading. The course on ore-deposits will be transferred to the Division of Geology, and the courses on fire-essaying and metallurgical chemistry to the Division of Chemistry. The introductory courses in architecture and landscape will be transferred to the Department of Fine Arts. All other undergraduate courses now offered under the various divisions and departments of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences will be withdrawn and put under the charge of one of the new Graduate Schools of Applied Science.

Provision for Future.

This arrangement will go into effect at the beginning of the next academic year. Additional schools of applied science may hereafter be organized, as the additions to the capital of the McKay Fund, or other gifts and bequests make possible the opening of instruction and research in new subjects.