EXAMINATIONS.

Speaking of examinations in general, President Lowell in his recent report said: "Examinations are in all cases defective instruments. But in an institution of any size, they are a necessity, and where they exist, their character and scope will inevitably determine in large measure the attitude of the student toward his studies." Our system of regular and make-up examinations is too well known to need explanation here. The following are the four main objections to the present plan and the improvements suggested.

The first objection is that the examinations begin on the first day after regular exercises close, and owing to the press of daily work, a man who has an examination on the first day cannot thoroughly review, is subjected to an unfair strain, and cannot do himself justice. It is not uncommon for a man to have several or all of his examinations in the first few days, and all his work is affected. Some years ago, one day for study was granted before examinations began, but with the great increase in the number of courses and students, this custom was abandoned to save time. It is proposed to restore this day for preparation, though many professors argue that the student should be well enough prepared to pass creditably without special review. However, in the rush of college life as it is, such a day for preparation would be a great boon and is much to be desired.

The second objection is that the makeup examinations conflict with the regular examinations in June. Men who have to take both do well in neither. Those who were at Lawrence with the militia during the last mid-years have been permitted to take examinations during the latter part of April. It is, indeed, a very good suggestion that a regular make-up examination period be instituted to come just before or after the spring vacation.

Again, many members of the Faculty believe that the present period of over two weeks should be shortened; but the general sentiment seems to be that while much time is wasted, no better results will be obtained by increasing the strain at the examination period. Professor Palmer maintains that any loss of time is offset by the benefit which good students receive from the opportunity to thoroughly review and co-ordinate their work.

Finally, a policy of general examinations to cover subjects rather than courses and coming near the end of the college course has been forwarded. Such a system is to be tried in the Medical and Divinity Schools, and is comparable to the general test to which a candidate for admission to the bar is submitted in many states. Of this system President Lowell says in his report: "If a student obtains his degree by passing examinations in separate courses, each course will be to a great extent an end in itself; whereas, if he must look forward to a general examination in the future, the course becomes a means to an end, a part of a large whole." This system, though successful in England and Germany, has yet to be tried here; but we have every reason to expect that it will be a great improvement over our present method.

It is evident that there is room for a modification of our present system of examinations. We believe that with the changes indicated above they can be made fairer and also more serviceable tests of real ability.