QUOTATIONS ON THE PIERIAN

Its Concert Given Great Praise by Well-Known Music Critic in Yesterday's Transcript.

The following quotations are taken from the "Transcript's" criticism of the one hundred and fourth annual concert of the Pierian Sodality, on Wednesday evening, by H. T. Parker '90. The review appears under the heading, "The Reborn 'Pierian.'"

"The orchestra of Harvard University maintained by the Pierian Sodality of 1808, has earned and deserves its new title. It assembled in Sanders Theatre and audience more distinguished and expert than has ever listened to it before, and most of these hearers heard with mingled surprise and pleasure."

"In all these pieces, once "The Pierian" was clear of the nervousness that broke "The Saracens" into fragments, the orchestra played as it has never played before. Mr. Clapp's tone-poem is written exactingly in the ultra-modern German idiom. Rimsky-Korsakoff's symphony is not exactly music for amateurs. Yet the amateurs of the society played both pieces with the accuracy that was borne of ease with their music, and full understanding of it, with hardly a technical blunder or slip, with none that was so obvious as to vex and distract its hearers. Never before has "The Pierian" so learned and mastered its music. Its hearers heard the fruits of diligence and tireless leadership animated by ambition and devotion. All this, however, was only the groundwork to the playing of the orchestra. Alike in the tone-poem and in the symphony, it produced a full body of tone that was surprisingly sonorous and euphonious, animated and diversified."

"In a word, "The Pierian" was a real orchestra. For to technical ability, precision and security, it added in novel measure the higher, the finer, the imaginative, intuitive and expressive virtues of orchestral playing when it is not a routine or a pastime, but an ambition and an art. More than one in its audience heard almost amazed."