DAVID LINN EDSALL.

The announcement that Dr. David Linn Edsall, professor of Hygiene and Preventive Medicine at Washington University, St. Louis, Mo., has been appointed Jackson Professor of Medicine in the Harvard Medical School is a source of great satisfaction to all Harvard men and particularly those interested in the future of the Medical School. He comes to Harvard as a man of national prominence for his research work in medicine and his original contributions to that science.

Dr. Edsall has made particular study of the injurious effects of certain occupations upon workmen. For example, while professor of medicine at the University of Pennsylvania he attracted much attention by his researches and investigations into a malady which affects coal stokers exposed to intense heat. Being a skillful and scholarly chemist, he has made very valuable studies of the chemical effects of certain diseases on the human body, and for the results obtained in this work has won the reputation of being one of America's greatest physicians. His appointment to the Harvard Medical Faculty is most certainly a significant addition to its teaching force and will aid materially in that school's progress to the leadership of the medical institutions of America.