LIGHT WORK STILL THE RULE

NO SCRIMMAGING TRIED ON SOLDIERS FIELD YESTERDAY AFTERNOON.

The disagreeable drizzle which fell yesterday afternoon gave the University football team its first practice with a wet ball and a slightly treacherous field. But as there are yet no scrimmages, the squad not even being divided into sections, there was no special attention paid to teaching the men to handle themselves on a slippery field. Work was confined to the most fundamental practice with the dummies, medicine ball, and bucking machine, except for the ends and backs, who were given a long drill in punting, catching, forming interference, and getting down the field under punts. This sort of training will be used again today, but on Monday, if the present prospects materialize, the squad will be divided and a short scrimmage will take place.

Felton and Hardwick Punted Well.

The backs and ends were worked a long time on kicks which Felton and H. R. Hardwick got off in fine style, averaging about 50 yards. Following this a short signal drill was held, but the players were shifted so much that any attempt at stating a regular line-up is impossible. In the backfield combinations Wendell, Hardwick, Bottle, and Brickley seemed to be the favorites, though all of the backs were given a chance. In the line, Wigglesworth, of the 1915 eleven, seems to be forging ahead rapidly and may be expected to make an excellent showing for guard or centre.

A Few Formations Practiced.

The team was put through some shift and kicking formations which are being got into readiness for the early games of the season. Milholland, as well as Felton and Hardwick, was given some practice on kicks from these formations and also did some drop kicking.

The only new man to report was T. Cable '13, the hammer-thrower, who was worked out as a candidate for end. His work will be carefully watched, for he combines speed with his weight.

Work for 1916 Also Rudimental.

Coach Gardiner had his Freshman squad go through the same preliminary work that has been used all the week, dropping on the ball, tackling the dummies, and running through a few signals and formations. With the opening of College on Monday, a large number of additional players from the class are expected to report.