CORNELL DEFEATED, 8 TO 2

ALL ROUND SHOWING OF TEAM AUGURS WELL FOR WEDNES. DAY'S GAME

The Cornell hockey team met easy defeat at the hands of the University team in the Arena Saturday night by the score of 8 to 2. The visitors missed such sterling players as Magner and Crassweller, who were on the Cornell team two years ago, and had only one man, Hill, who could really play the game. His work was of a very high order and it was his individual ability that accounted for Cornell's scores.

Opposed to this individual playing the University team presented a quality of team-work that promises much. The passes were frequent and rarely went wild, although they were occasionally too high. Clark, at right wing, showed much improvement in his game and did not noticeably hold back the other forwards. Sortwell and Phillips played the most brilliant games, scoring 6 goals between them.

How the Scores were Made.

Phillips made the first score of the evening after a dash the length of the rink in which he evaded nearly the whole Cornell team and drew the goal-tender out of his cage. Sortwell tallied seven minutes later from a scrimmage and this was followed almost immediately by another goal for Phillips on a pass from Claflin. Sortwell ended Harvard's scoring for the half on a long lift from near the centre of the rink, and just before time was called for the end of the period, Hill scored on a long, hard shot on the end of a brilliant dash down the ice.

In the second half the play was much faster and Dean, the Cornell goal tender was kept very busy. Hill made the first goal of the period on a desperate shot in which he fell over Gardner and into the cage. Inside of 15 seconds, however, Clark raised the lead to three by scoring on a pass from behind the Cornell goal. Of the three remaining Harvard scores, Sortwell made two from scrimmages and Morgan one.

The University team showed the result of hard practice in its ability to take the puck out of the corners, the occasions when the wings or defence men were caught with the puck there and were unable to get it out being few and far between. The standard of play displayed Saturday night augurs well for the game with Princeton who, it will be remembered, last year won the championship of the league, but was able only to tie Harvard for the collegiate hockey title. Claflin was taken ill yesterday, however, and will probably be out of the game, which will be a serious draw-back to the University team. HARVARD.  CORNELL. Hopkins, Hanson, l.e.  r.e., Scheu Sortwell, Palmer, l.c.  r.c., Hill Phillips, Gorham, r.c.  l.c., Kent Clark, Morgan, Smart, r.e.  l.e., Moore Clafllin, Goodale, Wendell, c.p.  c.p., Smith Willetts, Brown, Graustein, p.  p., Clark Gardner, Carnochan, g.  g., Dean

Score--Harvard 8, Cornell 2. Goals--Sortwell 4, Phillips 2, Hill 2, Clark, Morgan. Referees--Heron and Tingley.