POSSIBILITIES OF UNION

MANY PLANS FOR FURTHER USEFULNESS SUGGESTED AT OPEN FORUM.

Discussion at the Forum last night concerning the uses of the Union brought forth many suggestions of value in the creation of greater enthusiasm amongst the Union's present membership. Abundant testimony of the Union's financial success and even of the satisfactory condition of its membership was given. The making of the Union the moving spirit in the creation of University solidarity and esprit de corps, however, appeared to be wherein it failed.

It was suggested that the advantages of the Union were not brought before the incoming Freshmen as directly as they should be. Other speakers expressed the opinion that it would be advantageous if territorial or other clubs were permitted to use the rooms of the Union with a smaller percentage of their number members of the Union than is now demanded. After a debate, however, the proposition was defeated by a motion put before the whole Forum. Another suggestion was that more prominent members of the Faculty be asked to speak in the Union than at present. This idea was given further support by a speaker from the Law School.

The main debate of the evening, however, gathered about the question as to whether such debating as the Oxford Union fosters could not well be made the centre of the Union's activities. Some doubt was expressed on the point of the amount of interest which Harvard undergraduates could be expected to take in such subjects as are keenly debated at Oxford. The general consensus of opinion was, nevertheless, that the experiment might be tried and, if non-existent at present, the interest would grow. Other suggestions made were that such an organization should originate and be managed solely by the Union and that the officers of the Union could with advantage be chosen from the leaders in such debate and from amongst men who were most interested in and had most time to give to the welfare of the Union. The Forum was then adjourned with the intention to take the matter up more in detail at a later date.