DEFENCE ROUNDING TO FORM

Seconds Powerless Before Improved Line.--Squad Loses W. T. Gardiner '14.--Norwich Game Off

Almost the entire afternoon of yesterday on Soldiers Field was devoted to developing defensive play in teams A and B of the football squad. Both when lined up against the University and against the substitutes, the second team kept the ball for long periods. Team A registered two touchdowns against the second team, these being the only scores of the afternoon. Team B failed to show aggressiveness, and was again almost scored upon by the seconds.

Long Runs by Brickley and Mahan

After the seconds had spent some minutes after the opening of the scrimmage in trying to puncture Team A's defence, the ball was given to the latter eleven on its own one-yard line. The first play advanced the ball four yards, while the second saw the longest run of the season on Soldiers Field. Brickley found a weak spot in the middle of the opposing line, eluded the second team's backfield with the aid of good interference, and ran the intervening 95 yards for a touchdown. Mahan also got away for an unusually long gain, scoring on an intercepted forward pass from midfield.

It seemed that the University was noticeably stronger on the defence at the end of the afternoon, both against the second team's plunging and against its open plays. Though the line is not yet as strong as could be wished, it has tightened up within the last two days so that the gains of the seconds on plunges are becoming smaller. Against forward passes, the University was particularly effective, sizing up the plays almost before they were under way, and invariably spoiling them.

The line-ups were as follows: UNIVERSITY.  SECOND. O'Brien, l.e.  r.e., Wharton Storer, l.t.  r.t., Sigourney Weston, l.g.  r.g., Bigelow Soucy, c.  c., Winsor Mills, r.g.  l.g., Kean Hitchcock, Gilman, r.t.  l.t., Iselin L. Curtis, r.e.  l.e., Adams Bradlee, q.b.  q.b., Swigert, Blake, Bright Mahan, McKinlock, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Birch Hardwick, r.h.b.  l.h.b., King Brickley, f.b.  f.b., Temple

W. T. Gardiner '14 Out For Good

The most discouraging development of the season occurred yesterday afternoon, when it was announced that W. T. Gardiner '14 was out of the game for good. Contrary to his expectation, his arm, which was broken in the Princeton game two years ago, has not proved strong enough to warrant his continuing in the line-up. While new to his position at end, having formerly played tackle, he was showing great promise under efficient coaching. He was an aggressive and hard player whose services the team will greatly miss.

Norwich Game Cancelled.

A telegram was received by the Athletic Association from Norwich yesterday, definitely cancelling the Norwich game which was to have been played on October 25. The reason for Norwich's action is the death a short time ago of Verner Belyea, who was injured in the game with Holy Cross. As yet the Athletic Association has made no arrangements to procure another game to fill this vacancy on its schedule

W. T. Gardiner '14 Out For Good

Norwich Game Cancelled.