Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

REFORMING ENGLISH A.

It is a platitude to say that the art of adequately expressing one's ideas is a tool invaluable in every walk and profession of life. Frequently, however, it is forgotten that this tool is in many of its adaptations very different in form from what it is in others. The prose of the business man differs from that of the scientist, and again from that of the political writer. And it is virtually impossible as well as superfluous to a great extent for any one student to master all forms.

For this reason, and because the elementary student is at present inclined to chafe at the mechanical and what he considers theoretical side of English composition, the experiment about to be tried in English A will be watched with interest. The attempt to correllate the training in English composition with the other work of the student seems calculated to benefit not only the course by arousing in the students a more vital interest in the subject, but also the student, by refining to his particular use the ability of expressing himself in forceful English. The new plan should, in the first place, give the student of philosophy, government or what not a practical, actual basis on which to work; and further should shape the specialist's mode of expressing himself in the way best suited to his purpose.