MUSIC BUILDING READY IN APRIL

Description of New Structure Which is Now Under Construction.

It is now expected that the new Music Building for which ground was broken in the first part of September, will be ready for occupancy in April. This home for the Department of Music is made possible by an anonymous gift of $80,000 from a graduate, and an endowment fund of $50,000 which has been subscribed by other graduates and friends. The increasing enrollment in the different musical courses and the inadequate accommodations of Holden Chapel have made this new centre of musical activities and courses almost imperative.

Description of Structure.

The building is situated in back of Lawrence Hall, between if and the Jefferson Physical Laboratory. Harvard brick and marble are the construction materials, and tile is to be used for the floors of the foyer. There are to be two entrances and porches, one on the west and the other on the north side of the building; the west porch will be of semi-circular construction, while that to the north is rectangular and upheld by pillars. On the first floor there will be, besides the vestibule, coat room and secretary's room, a large foyer from which a broad staircase leads to the second floor; and two small and two large class rooms, the latter being about twice the size of the former. In these rooms, the twelve courses now offered by the musical department, and any that may be added, will be given.

The second floor contains the large auditorium, the dimensions of which are approximately 60 feet by 54 feet exclusive of the stage. Inclusive of the large apron, the stage dimensions are about 29 feet by 33 feet, and under the stage floor are stored sliding platforms which can be drawn out to add even more space for the larger musical organizations. There is a drop at about mid-depth of the stage that can be let down when the extra space is not desired. In the north side of the stage is the space for the pipe organ.

Seating Capacity of 576.

The seating capacity of the hall is 576, 472 of these seats being on the main floor of the auditorium and 104 in the balcony, which is an extension of the third floor. Directly in back of the balcony is a box-like construction for the purpose of absorbing the echo. The ladies waiting and cloak rooms are also on the second floor leading off from the foyer. On the third floor there is a third foyer and off from this are two conference rooms and the music library room, where all the music reference books are to be kept.

Centre of Musical Activities.

One of the chief gains in having a building for musical activities only is the fact that all the musical clubs will have a home of their own. The Glee, Mandolin, and Banjo Clubs and the Pierian Sodality will all have their headquarters here. It has not been decided whether the Symphony concerts will be held in this hall, but it will be used for all the smaller musical recitals.