HAPPENINGS AT NEW HAVEN

Yale Dramatics Criticized.--Musical Clubs to Make Southern Trip

New Haven, Conn., December 14.--During the past week nothing has occurred of striking importance. Several topics of more or less timely interest have been discussed by various men. The captains and athletic directors of some of the eastern colleges have expressed their views on the question of professional coaches remaining on the players' bench during important games. Although some of them either are opposed to the movement or believe it will make little difference, the majority are strongly in favor of the plan. The new water polo rules which have recently been inaugurated were criticised by L. DeB. Handley of the New York Athletic Club, one of the foremost swimming authorities of the country. He believes them to be an improvement on the whole over the old ones. The opinions of several leading basketball authorities were published in the News on Tuesday on the reasons for the perceptibly waning interest in the game at Yale, and the prospects for awakening enthusiasm were discussed. When Harvard, always Yale's warmest rival, abandoned basketball as an intercollegiate sport, the interest at New Haven fell in consequence.

Sir Johnstone Forbes-Robertson, the well-known English actor, has written an approval of the policy of the Dramatic Association in producing three plays this year. He suggests a variation of the productions, and mentions the advantages of presenting Shakespeare, saying that Shakespeare demands of his actors good elocution and articulation--the greatest assets in acting. W. M. Davis has discussed the practical value of dramatics in colleges, but is strongly opposed to the impersonation of female characters by young men, giving as his reason that such impersonations tend to make one less manly, and force one into being for a time the exact opposite to what he should be.

Musical Clubs Go to New Orleans

The Musical Clubs have announced the schedue and program of their holiday trip. Starting on December 20, they will present a large and varied program in eight cities between New Haven and New Orleans.

The annual December wrestling meet began on Monday, and many close and interesting bouts have occurred.

A list of fairly accurate statistics shows that considerable interest has been displayed during the past fall in all branches of athletics, the total number of men in the university who have remained on the different squads during their respective seasons being 1,708.

At a recent meeting of the college facuty two main changes were made in the course of studies, one allowing a broader choice of modern languages in the freshman course, and the other admitting the History of Philosophy as a sophomore course.

New Building for Medical School

As soon as $600,000 can be raised work will be begun on the erection of the proposed new chemical and pathological laboratory for the medical school. It is a much needed addition, and will be of great service to the medical school.

On Tuesday evening Captain Madlkane Q. Cele, a Zulu of royal blood, and a graduate of the Hampton Institute, spoke in Lampson Hall about the need of civilization in his country, the great possibilities offered to capable men by the national resources, the want of American missionaries, and the general customs of his people.

The erection of the new Bowl has brought about the question of the disposal of the old wooden football stands at Yale Field. The Yale-Princeton game of November 15, 1913, was undoubtedly the last championship game that will ever be played on the old field. The wooden stands will remain until next winter at least, in case work on the Bowl should be delayed. It is probable that all the minor games next fall will be played on the old field. It is planned to build the new double-decked covered baseball stand on the site of the present football stand.

There has been some discussion during the past week over the present requirements for Phi Beta Kappa. Professor C. W. Mendell upholds the requirements as they now stand and has pointed out the numerous advantages in two-year membership.

The Christian work of this fall has been reviewed, and all branches are found to be doing well. The growth of the Yale Hope Mission is particularly to be noted. The St. Stephen's Society for Freshmen, which meets on Wednesday evenings, is new this year, and is aimed to bridge over the transition in religious life between school and college. So far as can be seen it is successful.

Advantages of New Term System

Dean Jones, in expressing an opinion on the new semester system, has pointed out three important advantages. First, if the college year is divided into two equal parts, courses are interchangeable, and two half-year courses may be substituted for one whole year course. Second, that this year the Promenade comes at the end of the first term, and the three-day vacation may be granted without interruption of the term's work. The third advantage is the addition of three days to the Christmas vacation.

The Yale Literary Magazine has issued a statement announcing its withdrawal from the tri-college literary contest entered into last spring by the Harvard Advocate, the Princeton Nassau Literary Magazine, the Yale Literary Magazine, and the Yale Courant. The Yale Courant announced its withdrawal from the contest some little time ago.