ERECTION OF BRUNSWICK BRONZE

Replica of "Lion of Brunswick" Now in front of Germanic Museum

A replica of the Lion of Brunswick is being temporally erected in the delta before the Germanic Museum. The wooden base now being built is thirteen feet in height and about twelve feet in length at the base. On top of this will be placed the bronze statue of the lion, which is about six feet high and ten feet in length, resting on a solid four-inch base of its own. When the new Germanic Museum is erected the status will be re-set with a permanent granite base on the lawn before the main entrance. A model of the new buildings with the same statue in place is in the present Germanic Museum.

The bronze is gift of the Duchy of Brunswick to the museum here, and is an exact replica of the statue which has stood before the castle of the Duke of Brunswick since 1166. The original was set up by Duke Henry the Lion, of Saxony, founder of the house of Guelph, the present reigning house of England. The lion was intended as a symbol of his territorial sovereignty which he had obtained from Emperor Frederick Barbarossa. At the time his dominion, embraced practically all of lower Germany.

It is calculated that the present erection will be entirely completed by tomorrow.