Training of Murderers.

Communications

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I wish to second Mr. Harris's remarks in Monday's CRIMSON. The spectacle of the Harvard Union apparently following a consistent policy of inviting military and naval men to speak under its auspices in an attempt to induce Harvard men to join the army, to undertake military or naval training, to support the present nation-wide campaign to spend more and ever more in chasing the will-o'-the-wisp of military efficiency, is indeed revolting. To read in the daily papers that one who raised his voice to protest against such shameful and absurd proceedings was hissed and hooted at by enthusiastic Harvard students, makes one blush for one's Alma Mater.

When this campaign began, we were about to take the lead among nations as a people who could practice that Christian peace which men of all nations preach. Must the patient work of years go for naught?

It is absurd, ridiculous. I challenge any advocate of these schemes to name one nation with the remotest intention of attacking us. As the risks of war decrease, we are asked to pay higher and yet higher rates of insurance. In the fiscal year 1910-11 we paid for the support of our army and navy over 43.3 percent, of our total expenditures, and 24.1 per cent, more for pensions, the burden of past wars--a total of over 440 million dollars--enough to build two hundred Widener libraries. The only possible way to stop this mad race of nations apparently trying only to discover which can bear the greatest burden of taxation, is to end the race. The United States would perform a higher mission than every before were she to set the example here.

The mad irrationality of war must be obvious even to the militarist. Its decisions are inherently unjust or only occasionally and accidentally just. Might, despite the proverb, is not right. The traditional slogan, "In time of peace prepare for war" is a relic of mediaeval days of incessant warfare, and has no meaning today. There is no surer way to make other nations distrust us than to distrust them. Let us trust and be trusted.

It is for us as Harvard men to take our stand. Must the news go forth that Harvard will assist in this insane campaign to add to our number of hired murderers? Let those who urge military training remember that they are urging training for organized and deliberate murder! LEWIS S. GANNETT '13.