COMBINATION IN BENEFIT OF TRADE

The CRIMSON endorses most heartily the action of the Student Council Committee on Publications in recommending the merger of the Advocate and Monthly, and will do all in its power to further such a movement. For obvious reasons it is desirable to put an end to the present cut-throat competition for advertising and circulation that is now carried on by the two papers, and to have a single publication that truly represents the literary ability of the undergraduates. By the present competition of the two papers in the same limited field the University loses the benefit and influence that could be exerted by one undergraduate magazine.

The proposal is not a new one; in the past all efforts to combine the Advocate and Monthly have come to naught because of individual jealousies and foolish sentiment for traditions. The CRIMSON believes that never before have the undergraduates so keenly felt the need of but one literary paper, and urges as strongly as possible that this year all petty jealousies be set aside and the union, which would be of such great benefit to literary talent in the University, be completed so that the re-organized board may start its work next fall.