PROSPECTS FOR TRACK TEAM

SUCCESSFUL SEASON DEPENDS ON DEVELOPMENT OF SECOND STRING MEN.

At the request of the CRIMSON, Captain J. B. Cummings '13 has written the following article on the University track team. In his article Captain Cummings pays a great tribute to former Coach William Quinn and points out that his death is an inestimable loss to track athletics in the University. The great problem before this year's team is the development of second- and third-string men and unless this can be done successfully, the chances of the University team against Cornell and Yale are far from bright. In discussing this year's team, Captain Cummings writes as follows:

"When the University track season closed for 1912 the prospects seemed bright for a strong team this year, for few of the first-class performers graduated in June. There have been several unfortunate things, however, which have happened since that time to make the outlook decidedly less encouraging. The death of Coach Quinn was an inestimable loss to Harvard athletics, as those men who were closely connected with him well know. His wonderful ability as a track athlete, his knowledge of the sport and his ability to impart that knowledge to the men working under him, and his very great enthusiasm for Harvard and Harvard men--these are but a few of the qualities that made Quinn a wonderful coach. For the present Coach Donovan has charge of the entire work but will probably have an assistant by the first of April.

Second-String Men Needed.

"Without Quinn, the preliminary winter training, always a valuable part of the track athlete's work, was very much broken up, and the new men in the field events had to depend largely upon the varsity men of last year for their instruction and aid. As a result, of course, our team will be greatly handicapped in the field events this spring. There are a few first-class performers who will probably secure first places in the Yale meet, but to develop second- and third-string men, especially in the field events, is the greatest problem we have to face, and unless this can be successfully accomplished, our chances against Cornell and Yale are far from bright.

Distance Men and Sprinters.

"In the distance runs the services of Captain Withington, of last year's team, and of Preble and E. D. Smith, will be greatly missed, but there are still several good performers in the distance events this year. Barron, who won the quarter against Yale, and O'Brien, who placed fourth in that race, will again compete in this event, with Rock, who secured second in the Yale freshman meet last year. In the half the strongest men are Huling, who won third against Yale, Koch, who won his heat in the half at the intercollegiates, and Capper and Stone, of the Freshman team.

"In the mile there are Lawless and Warren who scored against Yale last May, and MacLure of last year's Freshman team. In the two-mile there will be Boyd, the present holder of the dual record in this event, and Copeland, who placed third against Yale last spring. Other distance men of promise are Blackman, Hawkes Zamore, J. R. Abbott A. J. deGozzaldi, and Carter.

"The best men in the sprints are R. S. deGozzaldi and W. B. Adams. The former placed in both sprints against Yale and won fourth in the intercollegiate 220 yards, while Adams won the 220 against Yale. Tower, captain of the Freshman team last year, and J. I. Abbot, should press deGozzaldi and Adams closely. In the hurdles there are Jackson, Freeman, Brackett, and H. St.J. Smith from last year's Freshman team.

Team Weak in Field Events.

"In the field events our chances have been greatly lessened by the injury to Batchelder, who broke his wrist last fall and who will probably be unable to come up to the standard of last year when he won the shot-put against Yale, scored second against Dartmouth, and won fourth in the intercollegiates. Storer and Hardwick are available men in this event. In the hammer there are Cable, present intercollegiate champion, Burch, Pennock, and Sturgis, the last two members of the 1915 Freshman team.

"Camp is the only pole-vaulter of much merit in College, and he should score against Yale. Rice, who hurdled on the Freshman team last May, shows promise. In the high jump Moffatt is the best of the competitors out. Other men are Chandler, Camp, Mahn, and Danforth, the last three having performed on the Freshman team last year. The broad jump will be well taken care of with Cable and Austin, who placed against Yale last spring, and Allen, who scored in the Dartmouth meet, but who was prevented from competing against Yale on account of sickness. Other men who are out for this event are Garvey, Rudd, Hardwick, and King.

Practice During Spring Recess.

"Candidates will be called back for a short period of work during the spring recess, reporting on Thursday, April 17. The annual handicap meet will be held on April 24 and the interclass meet on May 3. The high jumpers and hammer throwers will be entered in the Pennsylvania relay games on April 26. The Wells Cup race in the quarter-mile and the Dodge Cup race in the 220 will be run off sometime between the Yale meet at New Haven on May 17, and the intercollegiates, which take place this year in the Stadium on May 30 and 31. These meets and the one with Cornell in the Stadium on May 10 will complete the schedule, unless the Cambridge-Oxford-Yale-Harvard meet is held. As yet nothing definite regarding this international meet has been arranged.