YEAR PAST AND THE FUTURE

REPORTS AT BROOKS HOUSE MEETING EMPHASIZED CONTINUAL GROWTH.

At the annual meeting of the Phillips Brooks House Association held in the Trophy Room of the Union last evening reports were heard from all the constituent societies of the Association on the work of the preceding year. In addition President Lowell and Mr. G. E. Huggins '01, of New York, N. Y., spoke, the latter presiding.

For the most part all the reports showed remarkable progress and development during the past year and in so much a greater fulfillment of the aims of the Association. A report of special interest was read of the Law and Graduate Schools Societies, whose work in connection with the Phillips Brooks House has been greatly improved by the creation of the secretary's office in Brooks House. It is under this department that the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau has been established in Central square.

Wide ground has been covered by the work of the Social Service Committee during the year past. In all 49 institutions were covered by the 343 workers in this department. Twenty men were sent out to speak to boys' clubs on different occasions while 21 entertainments were provided. Reports were heard also from the University Christian Association, St. Paul's Catholic Club, Harvard-Andover Divinity Club, Harvard Mission, St. Paul's Society, the Librarian, the Treasurer, the Chapel Committee, and the president of the Association.

Summary of Year's Work.

The president's report was a summing up of the general work of the Association for the year. In his report A. J. Lowrey '13 laid stress on the holding of Senior elections in Brooks House. He also mentioned particularly the success of "Open house" held for the first times, and the establishing of the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau.

President Lowell Spoke on Development.

President Lowell closed the meeting with a contrast between the student religious life of his day and at the present time. It may be said there are three stages in the development that has taken place. First there was hazing which at least had the advantage of consolidating the Freshmen, then utter indifference, which was perhaps worst of all, and now at last helpful interest on the apart of upperclassmen towards the new student.