SOCCER TEAM WINS 1 TO 0

DEFEATS PENNSYLVANIA YESTERDAY IN VERY EXCITING GAME.

In the most exciting soccer game of the season, the University team defeated Pennsylvania, 1 to 0, on Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon, and as Harvard has only one more intercollegiate game--the one against Columbia Saturday--yesterday's victory places the University team within striking distance of the championship.

Although the field was slow, the contest was replete with sensational rushes and brilliant individual playing. Harvard scored the only goal, in the early part of the match. In a fast scrimmage, Needham swung the ball around into the net from right wing, scoring the winning point. During the first half, the University outclassed Pennsylvania, but the losers retaliated with a desperate burst of speed in the second half.

The line-ups: HARVARD.  PENNSYLVANIA. Nichols, g.  g., Howell Rushmore, l.b.  r.b., Watson Barron, r.b.  l.b., Pennell Grant, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Dunstan Francke, c.h.b.  c.h.b., Bell, Hirst McCall, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Moffly Locke, l.o.f.  r.o.f., R. Frazier Carnochan, l.i.f.  r.i.f., Kennedy Lowrey, c.f.  c.f., Thayer Hopkins, Hardwick, r.i.f.  l.i.f., Templeton Needham, r.o.f.  l.o.f., W. Frazier

Score -- Harvard 1, Pennsylvania 0. Goal--by Needham. Referee, Williams. Linesmen--Gaudenzi, of Pennsylvania; Burgess, of Harvard. Time of halves--45 minutes.