INSPIRATION FORM CORNELL.

When all is said about the ease of working one's way through Harvard and after unstained praise has been given to the University officers who are assisting many men to secure work, there still remain certain phases of a working students life which, according to Professor Cavanaugh of Cornell, should be carefully considered. One of these phases touches the social side of college life, which he thinks need cause no serious problem, except in colleges where large dormitory space is lacking. Besides dormitories, Harvard is equipped with the Union which offers every opportunity to working students to drop now and then into congenial company. With professor Cavanaugh we ridicule the idea of a great social barrier; the proof of its non-existence is everywhere at hand. And so we believe that the social life of the working students at Harvard need not suffer to an alarming degree.

But as regards another phase which combines health and finances, Professor Cavanaugh's ideas may be applied to Harvard more serially. Rather than ruin health by over-work and hasty, insufficient meals, he advises the student either to undertake regular work outside and then come to college, or to borrow means of support. It is by no means necessary for working students to undermine their health and the many who can study and support themselves healthfully at the same time should be encouraged to do so. Indeed, many believe that the working students derive more benefit from college than any others, witness and articles in a recent issue of the Illustrated. We are sure that they need not derive less benefit, provided they accept Professor Cavanaugh's advice to respect their health.